Tuesday 23 October 2012

Wedding Planners - Too Old?



I read something the other day that suggested that wedding planners may be out of touch with their brides wants and needs because of their age.
With a lot of planners like me who are in their 30's or 40's I guess it could be suggested that we may not be up with the current trends, or that we feel we know best.

Personally I feel that this is not a true representation of myself. Like most planners I spend most of my time researching the current trends through magazines, blogs, bridal shops and websites both here in the UK and abroad but more importantly I follow my brides and what seems to be the most popular choices

I  don't feel my age is of any real importance because when I work with a bride I am solely led by her ideas and vision. I let her guide me and alongside her I will gently guide the way through the choices and dilemmas she may have. That's my job, to make sure she is happy, ultimately the choices she makes are hers after all its her day. At the same time, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't show her ideas or make suggestions, making sure she avoids some of the common pitfalls when organising her wedding as well as trying to keep her on budget.

When a bride firsts becomes engaged the first thing she may do is act impulsively and buy lots of things for favours or table decorations. Its so hard to contain the excitement that she may feel. But it is common for a bride to change her mind about colour schemes and themes sometimes 3 or 4 times before the big day - so again I act as her guide to make sure that the money she spends is well spent and rash decisions are not made. I hope this doesn't make me sound like I am a bore who spoils the enjoyment for my brides but with age comes experience and as with all my brides I do my best to protect their interests.

Working together with a bride to create her vision for her perfect day is key, so to be honest I don't see age as being a real issue. As long as the bride has a good relationship with her planner that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment